Day 1 – Candy Cane Meringue Cookies
// December 26th, 2010 // A State of Yum
Today, on the 1st day of Christmas (okay 2nd, but the 1st day of the 12 days of Cookies), let’s take advantage of the post-Xmas downtime time and make some delicious cookies! The trick to this cookie is making sure you spend the time beating the egg white mixture into stiff peaks and setting aside three hours of oven time!
3 egg whites
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
a pinch of cream of tartar
a pinch of salt
1 tsp peppermint extract (or 2 if you’re like me and really love peppermint)
2 drops of red food coloring
Beat 3 egg whites until frothy. Beat in 3/4 cup superfine sugar and a pinch each of cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. Add 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and swirl in 2 drops red food coloring. Drop by tablespoonfuls and bake about 1 hour at 300 degrees. Turn off the oven and keep meringues inside for 2 hours to dry.
I know, what a PITA right? But trust me, even if you only like meringue a little bit (and like peppermint a LOT), you’ll love these cookies! The number of cookies you can make depends on the size of your “tablespoonfuls”.
2 Responses to “Day 1 – Candy Cane Meringue Cookies”
Leave a Reply
- Jeri said: I hear you, TerriAnn. My first draft list was a h...
- TerriAnn @ Cookies & Clogs said: My list would be too crazy that making a list woul...
- Jeri said: Mom, it's okay! By the time I finished working, n...
- Jeri said: You're so right, Aunt Janet. :-) It was a good b...
- Mom said: I wish I had known. I didn't call you on Friday to...
- Janet said: Those are the best birthdays!!!! It took me a whi...
- If Hollywood can reboot, so can I!
- ...you might find, you get what you need!
- Relaunching the 101...
- A moment of gut clenching truth
- Do's and Don'ts