// October 10th, 2012 // 3 Comments » // Life
This year, more than ever, as I creep closer and closer to 40, I really want to shake up my life and ensure that I experience new things, spend a lot of quality time with people I want to spend time with (not HAVE to spend time with) and, most importantly, have FUN!!! I’ve revamped my 101 in 1001 list three times now since I wrote the initial list in 2009 and have not made much of a dent in it each time. The first list I completed 10 items. The second time around I completed fifteen. This time I completed less than a third of my list; however, at no point did document fulfilling any of my goals and the steps I took before, during and after. I also did a lot of things on my list simply because they were ON the list. That is a bit of a bummer. I never want to get so caught up in this site that I miss living my life. On the other hand, part of having this site is writing and recording my life. So I decided to remove the items I’ve completed or just don’t really want to do and start afresh this year and work hard to complete it in July of 2015. I’ll be 40 then and ready to take on new challenges in the next decade of my life!
My mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in 1001 days.
The criteria: Tasks must be specific (i.e. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e. represent some amount of effort on your part) but not so overwhelming they cannot be accomplished in 1001 days. Tasks must be blogged on each day as I work through the list. Pictures will also be supplied as proof that the task is being worked and/or is completed.
The Start Date: 10/12/2012
The Finish Date: 07/09/2015
My list is split into four categories. Live is the first category and contains tasks and/or challenges that require me to get out of my comfort zone, interact with others and develop new relationships and friendships while preserving old friendships and family ties. Learn is a list of things I would either like to master or is something I am simply interested in investigating. I’ve tried to make sure the things I learn will either be physically or mentally challenging and/or fun. Because if it is not challenging or fun, what’s the point? Love is a series of tasks that are for me, that will improve my physical, mental and emotional well-being and make me and/or others feel good. Lush is exactly that – tasks that are a true pleasure and something I want to do for me just because. I mean, really. What is the point of having a list of things to do if some of them aren’t pure pleasure for pleasure’s sake!
1. Dip my feet in the Atlantic Ocean at sunset, drive across the country and dip my feet in the Pacific Ocean at sunrise.
2. Spend some time touring Europe alone.
3. Be with family for each and every Thanksgiving.
Did that, it’s not particular enjoyable being around some of them and I’d rather spend the money elsewhere. New Goal: Host a beach weekend for our friends.
4. Hike Ubehebe and Little Hebe craters (top to bottom and back again)
5. Attend the Austin City Limits Music Festival.
6. Attend the Calgary Stampede
7. Attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans
Been there, done that, have the beads. New Goal: Attend Coachella
8. Attend the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, CA
I don’t like beer. I don’t know what I was thinking. New Goal: Take and post 101 pictures of myself.
9. Attend BlogHer
10. Go salsa dancing
11. Go zorbing.
12. Take the Primal Leap.
13. Host one social event a month.
14. Try 101 new foods.
15. Attend PrimalCon.
This sounds cool in theory but it’s something I keep putting off and don’t really want to do. New Goal: Run a 5K and then run a 10K.
16. Participate in the 100 strangers project.
17. Swim with sharks.
18. Meet online friends in person.
Moved this one to Love. See below. New Goal: Swim 300 meters (12 laps) effortlessly.
19. Join a monthly book club that meets in person and attend each month. Note: I joined a book club but don’t attend regularly so that makes this a new goal.
20. Participate in a team sport.
21. Complete the 7-day Multi-Climate Complete Survivor Course
22. Create photography/gallery site.
23. Ride a zipline.
24. Go on a cruise.
25. Go on a blind date.
26. Learn how to ride a bike.
27. Learn how to juggle. I keep trying to do this and it’s a painful exercise in my lack of eye/hand coordination. New Goal: Learn to speak German. I don’t necessarily want to be LITERATE but business level German would be incredibly helpful (and cool to boot).
28. Learn to snowboard very well as opposed to what I do now which is manage to stay upright.
29. Learn how to fish.
30. Relearn how to roll a kayak.
31. Take salsa classes.
32. Create a successful blog.
33. Learn how to play chess well.
34. Make something using my new sewing machine.
35. Make paper, and then make something from that paper.
36. Record a CD of my own music.
37. Take an art class.
38. Learn to play guitar.
39. Participate in one of sh1ft.org’s photography projects.
40. Learn how to sail.
41. Learn to speak proper French.
42. Complete a creative bootcamp like NaNoWriMo or Scott McCloud’s Making Comics
43. Take a photography class.
44. Learn how to meditate.
45. Take a yoga class.
46. Learn how to knit.
47. Learn how to crochet.
48. Listen to 1000 new songs and find appreciation in music that is not within my comfort zone.
49. Get my SCUBA certification.
50. Learn bad-ass knife skills in the kitchen and apply them to the art of cooking frequently.
51. Work on 20 Things to Stop Doing to Others
52. Run a 10K. Moved to Live. New Goal: Meet online friends in person (from Live).
53. Swim 300 meters (12 laps) effortlessly. Moved to Live. New Goal: Two hours a week are mine to spend as I like (from Lush).
54. Be a mentor.
55. Read a book from the 1001 Children’s Books to Read Before You Grow Up list at least three nights a week. I realized I’ve read most of the books on this list that I want to read. New Goal: Spend an average of an hour each day that I am in town with Rascal training, walking and playing with him.
56. Walk 10,000 steps a day. See below. New Goal: Read a book with Drue at least three nights a week.
57. Perform random acts of kindness to at least 5 strangers without expecting anything in return.
58. No more conspicuous plastic use. This belongs on a different blog (coming soon!). New Goal: Meet my health goals: Reach goal weight (broken up into mini goals), walk 10,000 steps daily, avoid gluten and sugar since my body does not react well to them.
59. Shop at local farmers markets or local grocery stores.
60. Give myself 30 consecutive days of fun.
62. Reduce the number of power vampires in the house by half.
63. Complete the family photo project.
64. Participate in the 365 days project.
65. Make 101 handmade, lovely things.
66. Donate whole blood every quarter.
67. Read 52 books in 52 weeks.
68. Give up swearing for 30 days.
69. Average eight hours of sleep a night.
70. Complete a CPR and basic first aid course.
71. Build a Habitat for Humanity home.
72. Conduct a one year happiness project.
73. Create a morning writing ritual.
74. Be debt free.
75. Have three months of savings tucked away that goes untouched.
76. Sleep and dine in a castle.
77. Have dinner at the French Laundry.
78. Attend the San Francisco Black and White Ball
79. Two hours each week are mine to spend as I like. Moved to Love. New Goal: Host a fabulous girls weekend!
80. Drink a milkshake at Fosselman’s.
81. Have dinner at Chez Panisse.
82. Swim with sharks. Duplicate! New Goal: Go on every ride at Disneyland (even the kiddie ones)!!
83. Purchase my new camera and the necessary lenses to pursue my craft. I buy those anyway and most of them are business expenses. New Goal: Unplug for a week (no phones, no Interwebs, no television, no movies, no video games, nothing!)
84. Create a space within my home that nurtures me creatively. Given California housing prices this feels a little impossible. Maybe once I buy a house this can go back on the list. New Goal: Pay myself $20 for every item completed and then spend it as I wish at the end of the 1001 days.
85. Take a mud bath in Calistoga.
86. Go horseback riding on the beach.
87. Crash a wedding, reception included. I have really tried to be brave enough to do this but I just can’t. It’s not me or my personality to pull something like this off. New Goal: Make handmade cards for birthdays and holidays.
88. Spend the night in a museum.
89. Spend the night in a tree house.
90. Ride the Napa Valley Wine Train.
91. Go on a hot air balloon ride.
92. Spend a week touring Napa and Sonoma. At this point I’ve been all over Napa and Sonoma so a week is redundant. New Goal: Hire a virtual assistant.
93. Rent a limo for the night.
94. Take the New York Dinner Cruise.
95. Eat beignets at the Café du Monde.
96. Pull off the perfect road trip.
97. Collect art I love from artists whose efforts I want to support. This is too nebulous! New Goal: Buy an original piece of art.
98. See the calves and whales in their breeding lagoons near Cabo San Lucas. Been there, done that and it was awesome. New Goal: Facials, manicure and pedicure each month
99. Buy a year’s subscription to the opera. Second year running and we love going to the opera!! New Goal: Buy something unexpected, frivolous and totally impractical.
100. Go snorkeling in Bimini
101. Have high tea at Fortnum & Mason in London.
The final list can be found permanently here. So check back in. I am not sure why I am so motivated this time around. Maybe it’s turning 38 in two days. Maybe it’s just because NOW feels like the right time. Either way, this time I am determined to crush the list and have a blast while doing it. Let me know if you want to join in on any of the fun!!